KAMsnaps® offers 2 types of dies to install plastic snaps
with your heavy duty
KAM table press:
- 2pc no-change. These are the dies also used in the pro-handheld and mini-table presses.
- 3pc professional-grade. Professional-grade dies don't fit the portable KX pro-handheld or mini-table press.
What's the primary difference?
- The pro-dies have a dedicated die piece for the female vs male snap piece, which need to be switched out depending on which side of the snap you're installing.
- The no-change dies do not require switching dies.
Comparing the dies:
- Convenience - no need to switch out dies, 1 less die piece to keep track of
- Speed - makes installing a few snaps faster compared to pro-dies
- Less pressure needed - easier to flatten the snap prongs compared to pro-dies
- Can also be used in the KX8J pro-handheld and KX-T2 mini-table presses
- May be a little less precise - top snap piece must be manually placed and aligned over fabric, resulting in greater potential for human error or less perfect-looking results
- Compared to the pro-grade dies, there is a greater risk of too much pressure being applied with the heavy duty table press and damaging the bottom cap die.
- Most people don't have this issue when using the appropriate snaps for their material and they aren't pressing down with all their might.
- There is alternative bottom cap die sold separately to prevent this issue. Please contact us to inquire.
- Precision - top dies hold the the snaps in place, so there's less manual fidgeting and the top & bottom snaps are automatically aligned
- Speed - if installing high volume of snaps, may be faster compared to no-change dies
- Recommended if multiple presses are set up or if press is attached to kick pedal
- Less convenient - 1 more die piece to track, requires switching top dies for male vs female snap pieces
- Compared to no-change dies, there is a greater risk of not enough pressure being applied - some may find it too difficult to apply the necessary pressure to flatten the snap prongs sufficiently
- Not compatible with other KAMsnaps presses
Some DK93 press bundles include the 3-piece professional grade dies with only the TOP no-change die:
KAM Professional Table Press for Snaps, Rivets, Grommets & Buttons (DK93) × 1
Green / Plastic Snaps Size 20 Professional & TopNo-Change Dies
That's because the pro-grade bottom die can be used with the no-change top die, as illustrated in the video tutorial: