The thought of buying a brand new Halloween costume that gets worn 1-2 times, then ends up in a landfill is enough to give me heart palpitations. I personally find costume buying a wasteful and stressful experience. Give me some felt, KAM snaps, and a hot glue, and I feel I can MacGyver my way out of any situation.
This year's mission was to create a halloween costume for my 2 year old daughter from things I already had. She loves "kitty cat" aka Hello Kitty, so I decided to transform her winter hat into a Hello Kitty themed one, and fashion together a pinafore dress with a Hello Kitty shirt that she already had into a complete Hello Kitty themed costume.
To make a Hello Kitty hat, you will need:
1. Cut out Hello Kitty's eyes, nose, whiskers, and bow tie free hand from your felt scraps. Lay them out on your hat. For the bow, cut a long oval and a rectangle strip about 1/4" wide.
2. To make your bow, fold the oval in half at the center.
3. Next fold the top and bottom edge (at the center) back. Your bow should look like this (back and front view).
4. Wrap your rectangle strip of felt around the center of your bow. Trim any excess length if necessary.
5. Using your KAM snap pliers or KAMsnaps KX8J professional handheld press, install your cap and socket as shown. Place the cap behind one end of your rectangle strip, and your stud on the other end of your rectangle strip to hold the bow tightly in place. Your bow will look like this (back and front view).
6. Install the corresponding cap and stud on your hat. This is where your bow will snap on to.
8. Snap your bow and two eyes onto your hat. Hot glue the nose and whiskers. Should you ever need to wash the hat, you can easily remove the bow to retain its shape, then snap it back on after a wash.
9. I also took an old bib and hot glued cut out felt letters to make a matching costume accessory for my "Hello Cutie." This project was fun, easy, and super cheap to make. Best of all, my daughter is thrilled with her Hello Kitty costume and I'm proud that I was able to fashion it out of simple things I already had on hand.
Comments will be approved before showing up.