Quickly cuts out a hole in your fabric for easy snap, rivet, or grommet placement. Both a top cutting die piece and a bottom piece are needed.
Our 17mm bottom die accommodates top cutting dies up to 17mm, so you can use the same bottom die for all smaller sizes.
- Cuts best on thicker material with compression (like vinyl).
- Thin material may not achieve completely clean cuts.
- If your material has no stretch/give and will not unravel/fray at the cut (ie. leather, card stock), a punch die the same size as the grommet is recommended. Example: 5mm punch for 5mm grommets.
- If any of the above conditions apply, a punch die smaller than the grommet size is recommended since the resulting hole will expand. Size down according to the amount of expansion.
- Due to the mechanics of hole punching, the dies will wear down with continued use and will need to be replaced periodically, particularly the bottom die. Placing a small cutting mat or piece of leather on the bottom die may provide a cushion for the surface to prolong the lifespan.
- The cut pieces of fabric will collect in the top die (similar to how cut pieces of paper will collect in a paper hole punch) and will need to be cleaned out periodically.
Top piece cutting dies are available in the following sizes:
- 2.5mm (~1/16") (for our rivets and most snaps) - click here for a comparison of our "small hole" making tools
- 4mm (~1/8")
- 5mm (~3/16")
- 7mm (~1/4")
- 10mm (~3/8")
- 12mm (~1/2")
- 17mm cutters are not available at this time. Larger hole cutters are difficult to press.
The following tools are REQUIRED
-- also see 2nd thumbnail image: ( which tool do I have?