This neat swirly bowl is easy to make, and makes for a great little gift. The original tutorial from bhg.com uses leather, but I've modified it to use marine vinyl and KAM snap fasteners, which allows the bowl to unsnap so it stores flat. I used special engraved snaps in my version, but you can use any snap colors you have on hand or even metal snaps.
1. Print out the free swirly bowl template. Then cut out two pieces of marine vinyl roughly the size of the template. You can use the same color marine vinyl for both pieces. I used 2 different colors because I had scrap pieces of them.
2. Apply modge podge to the back of 1 piece of marine vinyl and glue 2 pieces together. Instead of glue, you can sew the 2 pieces of vinyl together if you prefer.
3. Allow the glue to settle at least overnight to 1 day before tracing your pattern and cutting out. If you start cutting right away, the marine vinyl layer may shift around too much.
4. Using the template, poke holes through the marine vinyl with your awl.
5. Locate the hole closest to the left edge of each flap. In the above photo, this would be the hole where the awl is poking through. Using your KAM snap pliers or KAMsnaps KX8J professional handheld press , install your engraved cap and socket as shown.
6. The outside and inside of your project will look like this.
7. Using your KAM snap pliers or KAMsnaps KX8J professional handheld press , install your caps and studs in the remaining holes.
The outside and inside of your project will look like this.
8. Begin snapping your folds (right fold over left fold) in place to complete your bowl. Bowl is great for holding small items like candy or a small potted plant. It also makes a pretty cover for a pencil stand. Fill a small glass or jar with flowers and pop them in your bowl for a centerpiece that will light up any room.